Children’s Orthodontics Melbourne
Kids Orthodontics Melbourne
If you have growing kids in Melbourne and are worried about their smile, or you are considering braces for them, then there are a few things you should know.
Full Orthodontic Braces are typically performed once all adult teeth have erupted. However, early intervention in some young kids can help alleviate future complications. Utilising their growing years can help minimise the amount of treatment required once they undergo full braces.
It is best to seek an opinion from our kids orthodontic team at The Smile Designer Dental Studio as early as possible, so that we can guide you through their options. Our practice is based in Melbourne on the border of Thornbury and South Preston.
Sometimes, the answer is to simply wait until they are older before intervening!
Join us for an Orthodontic Consultation at The Smile Designer Dental Studio.
Functional Appliance Commonly Used
Some growing kids require early intervention orthodontics during their growing years to treat Severe Class II or Pseudo Class III cases. These are kids that have an increased or reversed overjet, bucked teeth, and a small lower jaw. Utilising growth modification techniques on certain cases, we can help reduce or alleviate the need for future dental extractions or jaw surgery. All early intervention orthodontic treatment will require future orthodontics once all the adult teeth have come through to create that aesthetically pleasing and functional smile for your child.
A Twin Block is a removable appliance that is made in 2 parts, which permit and allows normal mouth movement and eating. The appliance is designed in such a way that it can help improve the size and width of the upper arch, while projecting the lower jaw forwards at the same time. The Twin Block is best used during the growing years in young children, typically around 9 – 12 years of age, and is normally utilised for a period of 12 -18 months. This is followed by full fixed braces when older.
These appliances are commonly used to create space and increase the arch width of the upper jaw during the growing years of younger kids and teenagers. This orthopaedic expansion of the jaw is activated by turning a screw in the middle of the plate once or twice a day as directed by our team at The Smile Designer. The length of time that this appliance is used for will be discussed by our team and will vary from each child.
Removable Orthodontic appliances are used in growing kids when there are minor tooth movements required. They are used in growing kids that have orthodontic problems such as crossbites or teeth that are blocked out. It can help with arch width expansion as well.
If your child has prematurely lost a baby tooth or teeth, then this can have implications on the growth of the surround adult teeth over the years. Teeth on either side of the gap can move and cause future complications. These space maintainers are utilised to prevent tooth movement into these spaces. They are simple and robust appliances that are made in conjunction with our Orthodontic Laboratories.
What are space maintainers and when are they required?
- Maintaining Space: The primary purpose of a space maintainer is to prevent neighboring teeth from drifting or shifting into the empty space left by the lost primary tooth. This ensures that there is adequate space available for the permanent tooth to erupt properly when it’s ready.
- Facilitating Normal Eruption: Space maintainers help guide the emerging permanent tooth into its correct position, reducing the likelihood of it coming in crooked or misaligned due to the shifting of adjacent teeth.
- Preserving Bite Alignment: By preventing neighboring teeth from moving out of their natural positions, space maintainers help maintain proper bite alignment and occlusion (the way the upper and lower teeth fit together).
- Removable Space Maintainers: These are typically made of acrylic and have artificial teeth to fill the gap. They can be removed for cleaning and are suitable for older children who can cooperate with their use.
- Fixed Space Maintainers: These are cemented or bonded to adjacent teeth and are not removable by the child. They are often used when a primary molar is lost and are more common in younger children who may have difficulty with removable appliances.
- A primary tooth is lost prematurely due to decay or injury.
- The permanent tooth is expected to erupt in the near future.
- There is a risk of neighboring teeth shifting into the empty space.
Meet the Team
Dr Dev Boparoy
Dr Madeleine Duff
Why Choose The Smile DesignerWe have helped numerous people in Melbourne and the surrounding suburbs with our high-quality care and superior service to achieve optimal results. Our dentists take great pride in not only restoring your smile and keeping it healthy, but also educating our patients about their oral health. It is important to us that we create the best foundation in ensuring our patients have full clarity and transparency in understanding their treatment plans.We have invested in state of the art technology to provide you with quality and peace of mind. Cosmetic dentistry has become increasingly popular. Ultimately who doesn’t want a smile that shines with confidence? Being at the forefront of cosmetic dentistry, we combine advanced technology, an artistic eye with extensive experience alongside ethical practice to ensure you are in the most capable and experienced hands. When you choose the Smile Designer, our dental clinic offers renowned dentistry because of the following:
OUR FIVE-STAR PHILOSOPHY
DEDICATED TO EXCELLING BEYOND YOUR EXPECTATIONS
At our dental studio, we are dedicated to providing a superior experience to every patient. We value our patients as if they were part of our own community, and we believe this is evident in the authentic feedback we receive.